Brachial Plexus Injuries
Among the more famous causes of brachial plexus injury is the birth injury in children and bike injury in adults.
Remember ‘B’ in brachial plexus injury
B- birth injury due to faulty application.
B- Bike injury fall on the shoulder in young adults (combination of depression of shoulder band forced lateral flexion of the neck)
B-Bad prognosis most of the times.
Brachial plexus can be
Closed: here injury could be due to birth trauma or bike trauma as mention above
Open: rare injury could be due to penetrating or gunshot injuries.
During the initial stage
- For pain control TENS is best suited
- To prevent contractures and deformities, a careful passive ROM exercises under supervision of physiotherapist.
During the later stages
- Measures to strengthen the muscles
- Reeducation of the muscles
- Modifying the splints and dynamising it helps
- TENS to control pain
- After two years reconstructive surgeries are planned fpr the residual paralysis and deformity